[LLVMdev] Top Level Stuff

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Mon Jul 2 19:51:43 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 18:44 -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:

> >> Yes, but that checks everything out, which is badness.
> >
> > Not really. He didn't define "./". If "./" is:
> > http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/everything then I don't see a problem
> > with it.
>
> Ok, if it doesn't cause everything to be checked out, I have no problem
> with it.

I think you missed the point. It *does* cause everything to be checked
out, but because its in a directory named "everything" you only get that
if you specifically asked for it. This is true of all the other
approaches as well, including putting the t/t/b at the top level. Its
just a matter of what URL you use to check out. For example:

1. Checkout just llvm: svn co
http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk llvm
2. Checkout everything: svn co
http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/everything

>  My svn-fu is weak, if it can work with externals, I'm fine with
> it! :)

The summary of this thread is that:

a) doing /trunk/{module}/... is not advised
b) we can use externals to simulate an "everything" dir. That is, we
create
  /everything which has subdirs like llvm, hlvm, test-suite, java,
stacker, etc. which
  have external links to all the /{module}/trunk dirs but named
{module}.

This gives us the best of both worlds.

Reid.