[LLVMdev] Top Level Stuff

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Mon Jul 2 20:13:37 PDT 2007

On 2007-07-02, at 21:44, Chris Lattner wrote:

>>> Yes, but that checks everything out, which is badness.
>>
>> Not really. He didn't define "./". If "./" is: http://llvm.org/svn/
>> llvm-project/everything then I don't see a problem with it.
>
> Ok, if it doesn't cause everything to be checked out, I have no
> problem with it.  My svn-fu is weak, if it can work with externals,
> I'm fine with it! :)

I'm not suggesting an "everything" folder, but a "just what I need"
folder. One could imagine finding these folders (and possibly more)
somewhere in svn:

     gcc/
       Makefile
       llvm-gcc/  [svn:external]
       llvm/  [svn:external]
       llvm-config/  [svn:external]
     ncfe/
       Makefile
       llvm-ncfe/  [svn:external]
       llvm/  [svn:external]
       llvm-config/  [svn:external]

Note that llvm-tv and the web site are appropriately excluded.

This could save new developers from needing to do anything but 'svn
checkout; configure; make', which could be pretty cool. Assuming
Chris' original idea, those with advanced LLVM-fu can still mix and
match projects by checking them out manually; the prefabbed
svn:external's are just a shortcut.

— Gordon