[LLVMdev] bugpoint usage

John T. Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 20 21:54:04 PST 2007

Seung Jae Lee wrote:
> Hello.
> Can I use debugging options such as 'step', 'next'(in gdb) also in LLVM bugpoint?

I assume you're asking if you can use commands like "step" or "next"
when using bugpoint.  The answer is no, but this is because bugpoint is
not a debugger like gdb.  Bugpoint is a program that reduces testcases
that trigger bugs in LLVM passes.

Often times in LLVM development, some large LLVM bytecode file triggers
a bug in a set of LLVM passes.  It is difficult to know what LLVM passes
are responsible for the failure or what part of the input is triggering
the problem.  Bugpoint automates the process of narrowing down where a
bug is and what input is triggering it.

For more information, you can read about bugpoint at:

http://llvm.org/docs/HowToSubmitABug.html
http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/html/bugpoint.html

-- John T.