[LLVMdev] [Oink-devel] Status of Elsa->LLVM

Daniel Wilkerson daniel.wilkerson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 14:52:31 PST 2007

On 12/21/07, Richard Pennington <rich at pennware.com> wrote:
> I'm a little further along now. I've started to put together a simple
> driver for Elsa and LLVM that I'm calling "ellsif" (cute name, I think
> it works).

Er.  Hm.  Can you explain the name?  The problem with names like
"ellsif" is that it sounds like "else if".  I like the fact that it
reminds one of Elsa.

> [~/elsa/ellsif] dev% ./ellsif -v test/ofmt.i -time-actions -std-compile-opts

Ok, this indicates that you are developing your compiler in the elsa
directory.  As I have said before, this is not going to work as Scott
wants elsa to be "done".  Oink was invented as a bucket to put elsa
tools into and that is the best place for it.  I suppose you might
convince Scott otherwise but I doubt it and for now I am the
maintainer.

> Adding test/ofmt.i as a preprocessed C file
> Phase: Preprocessing
>    test/ofmt.i is ignored during this phase

What preprocessor are you using?  Taras has already found one that is
working for him and that is licensed under BSD and that has some
features in it that he needs for source to source transformation.  I
would like us to all use the same one.

> Sorry to add noise to the list with this. I'm just very excited. ;-)
> Again, my compliments to both the Elsa and LLVM teams. It says a lot
> that I got this far in 19 days of part-time work.

Excitement is good and I don't mind the email at all.

Please however do respond to some of my concerns.

Daniel