[LLVMdev] ocaml binding question

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Wed Dec 12 05:59:52 PST 2007

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 13:39, Gordon Henriksen wrote:
> Since that ASTs are by definition language-specific, such should
> probably be a separate project because LLVM itself is language-agnostic.

Well, I'd like this to factor out commonality from the implementations of all
managed languages (everything from C++ to Lisp) so I think it should express
a typed language with typical control-flow constructs (including exceptions),
only first-order functions and parametric polymorphism/generics. The generics
should be handled by JIT compiling type-specialized functions on demand. This
representation should also be cross-platform.

This could be a language in itself, of course, just as MSIL is but I think
you'd want to add pattern match compilation, higher-order functions, an
object system and so forth on top of this to make it useful.