[LLVMdev] SVN (?) Migration

me22 me22.ca at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 10:51:46 PDT 2007

On 29/04/07, David A. Greene <greened at obbligato.org> wrote:
> > There is no perfect version control system that pleases everyone.
> >
> That's true of practically everything.  Yet it is also true that
> some systems are better than others.  Git is particularly good in
> the area of branching and merging which seems to me to be a core
> part of what an SCM system is.

On the other hand, the Developer Policy says "Once the design of the
new feature is finalized, the work itself should be done as a series
of incremental changes, not as a long-term development branch." and
"In the LLVM project, we do all significant changes as a series of
incremental patches. We have a strong dislike for huge changes or
long-term development branches."

> I certainly don't want to cause unnecessary frustration.  I'm just
> raising the question.  If the community decides it's been settled
> for now, then that's what we've decided.  But I don't think it's
> good to completely close down the possibility of alternatives
> either, especially if new information becomes available.

I don't think there is any new information.  The discussion for
switching to SVN was fairly recent, and a significant amount of effort
has been expended toward executing the switch.

Certainly there may be discussion again later, just like there was for
this switch.  In the mean time, sticking with the decision is
worth-while.  Version control seems to be one of those topics that
could be endlessly debated by the proponents of the various options,
to the detriment of real work.

~ Scott McMurray