[LLVMdev] LLVM Roadmap 2007-2008, PowerPC, multithreading, LLVM 2.0, etc ?

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Tue Apr 10 06:54:41 PDT 2007

Hi Valery,

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 13:15 +0200, Valery Khamenya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> where could one find any LLVM development roadmap for this
> and perhaps next year?

About the best "roadmap" we have is the list of enhancements in
Bugzilla:

http://llvm.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=enhancement&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=Bugs+I+Fixed&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

Other sources of information are llvmdev mailing list and the IRC
channel.

> Especially would be interesting to know about
>
>  * planned features for PS3 Cell processor -- as well as for Wii, Xbox360 CPUs

I have no idea. Perhaps someone else can comment.

>  * multithreading in general

For multi-threading, one of the GSoC projects intends to add some
parallelism features to HLVM/LLVM this summer.

>  * possibly coming changes in major versioning and related issues

We're switching to Subversion in < 1 week, if that's what you mean.  Or
did you have some other meaning for "versioning" ?

>  * other interesting featuring
>
> comments on current status to above listed items are also very welcome.

It would be nice if there was a better road map so that users could see
what features are being worked on.  At the very least, a page with a
list of Bugzilla #s, title, owner, and expected release would be useful.

Since it involves disclosure from developers, I will raise this topic at
the developer's meeting for discussion to see if there is interest in
maintaining such information.

REid.