[LLVMdev] Name of Function's original module during link-time optimization

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Sep 27 12:36:19 PDT 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Bram Adams wrote:

> A limitation here is that only Functions' debug data can be kept, as
> other Values (i.e. Instructions) are not Annotable. Is this an explicit
> design decision?

Yes, we intentionally do not want things to be annotatable.  In fact,
Function being annotatable is a wart due to the way the code generator
currently works.  In general, we prefer to keep data in on-the-side maps
instead of attached to the IR.  The mailing list has archives of extensive
discussion about this sort of thing.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/