[LLVMdev] Question about uninstalling LLVM

John T. Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 28 09:04:04 PDT 2006

Seung Jae Lee wrote:

>Hello. Nice to meet you.
>My name is Seung Jae Lee, a graduate student in UIUC CEE, who is working in NCSA for the present.
>Nowadays I am trying to develop LLVM backend to spit out CHiMPS assembly code. In the process, I installed LLVM codes on my home directory in the host computer. But I don't think it was installed properly. While bootstrapping the LLVM C/C++ Front-End, I met several errors, so I think it's better for me to remove what has been done and to re-install LLVM.
>In fact, there are LLVM-GCC in the host computer in other account but there are no LLVM suite. For this reason, I tried to have my own LLVM. Eventually I failed. I think there might be conflict between mine and the main directory.
>For this reason, I think it would be greatly helpful even if I have quite a bit of your advice.
>Would you mind replying to me?

First, to answer your question, uninstalling LLVM depends upon how you
installed it.

If you built LLVM with "make" or "make tools-only," then all you should
need to do is to delete the LLVM source tree and LLVM object tree.

If you used "make install," then I am not sure what you should do.  You
might be able to do "make uninstall," but if that doesn't work, you'll
have to go delete the files by hand.  You'll find them in whatever
directory you specified with --prefix on the configure command line.

Second, before you delete your LLVM tree, can you tell us what type of
system you're using and what errors you were getting?  We may be able to
help you diagnose the problem, but we need more information about the error.

-- John T.