[LLVMdev] Nightly Test Machine Identification

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Wed Oct 18 12:15:54 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 12:43 -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > I had upgraded my Linux kernel from 2.6.17 to 2.6.18. I suggested to Jim
> > that changes in the minor revision number of the operating system should
> > not count as a new machine. He said he'd look into it when he has time.
> > Its not a huge issue, I just didn't want to be incrementing the machine
> > numbers needlessly and needed to know what it was based on.
>
> Ok, seems reasonable.  The nightly tester script probably shouldn't be in
> the business of trying to grok OS version #'s.  Maybe OS version #
> shouldn't be included at all.

I think it needs to include it. Suppose someone used the same user ID,
same nickname but changed the machine from Linux to Windows. Furthermore
even a change like Linux 2.6 to Linux 2.8 could impact performance
significantly so it should be regarded as a new machine.  The complexity
of dealing with the OS version #s is why Jim tabled the work for now. I
agree, its an ugly mess that NightlyTest shouldn't be involved in. But I
don't think the correct thing to do is remove OS version from the
comparison altogether. I'd rather have the current functionality than OS
not mattering at all.

Reid.