[LLVMdev] going from gcc 4.0.1 to gcc 4.2

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
Wed Nov 8 02:58:23 PST 2006

Hello LLVM-people,

I realize most of you have other things on their head now, with the
1.9 release coming up, but I'd like to ask some questions regarding
the llvm-gcc frontend.

The current llvm-gcc4 frontend is based on GCC 4.0.1, as far as I can
tell from the docs. I also understand that GCC 4.1.x will probably be
skipped, to go to the upcoming GCC 4.2 release directly (which is
only a few weeks away I think).

Will this happen before the 2.0 release of LLVM, or are other things
more needed for the next (i.e. after 1.9) release? Can anyone give me
an idea of how much work it would take to go from a 4.0.1 to 4.2 llvm-
gcc?
I'm wondering because an llvm-gcc frontend based on GCC 4.2 would be
very usefull for my (and probably other peoples) purposes.

Related to that, are there any plans to create a llvm-gfortran
frontend from the gfortran compiler included in the GCC 4.x releases?
I've seen some mails passing on that topic, but I recall the guy
working on that being frustrated because the gfortran release in GCC
4.0.1 wasn't very usefull.

I'm willing to help where I can, but I'm not very experienced with
software development. I am very interested in a Fortran frontend for
LLVM though, because it would greatly improve the use of LLVM for me.

greetings,

Kenneth

--

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but
what they conceal is vital (Aaron Levenstein)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste