[LLVMdev] llvm-gcc4 & mingw32

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Wed May 10 14:17:24 PDT 2006

Hello, Everyone.

This is just brief description on building llvm-gcc4 with mingw32.
It's definitely non error-free and contains many "hacks", which should
be eliminated in the future.

1. Prerequisites
We're building in the folowing configuration:

1.1 GCC 3.4.5:
gcc -v
Reading specs from f:/research/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.4.5/configure --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as -
-host=mingw32 --target=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --enable-threads --disable-nls --
enable-languages=c,c++,f77,ada,objc,java --disable-win32-registry --disable-shar
ed --enable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libgcj --disable-java-awt --without-x --ena
ble-java-gc=boehm --disable-libgcj-debug --enable-interpreter --enable-hash-sync
hronization --enable-libstdcxx-debug
Thread model: win32
gcc version 3.4.5 (mingw special)

1.2 binutils 2.16.91 (20060119):
ld --version
GNU ld version 2.16.91 20060119
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

(both taken from mingw32 site)

1.3 Flex & bison taken from gnuwin32 site:
flex --version
flex.EXE version 2.5.4

bison --version
bison (GNU Bison) 2.1
Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.

1.4 llvm-gcc4 snapshot named 2006-05-08-llvm-gcc-4.tar.gz

1.5 Patches to LLVM source code and GCC source code (attached).

2. LLVM itself
We're using MSYS shell for main compilation. Also, we're using
objdir!=srcdir directory structure (the root is actually f:/tmp/llvm):

f:/tmp/llvm/build
           /gccbuild
           /gccsrc
           /install
           /src

LLVM sources goes to src, GCC sources goes to gccsrc. We're using
build dir to build LLVM and gccbuild dir to build GCC.

2.1 Switch do /build directory and configure LLVM:
  $ ../src/configure --enable-jit --enable-optimized --prefix=f:/tmp/llvm/build
2.2. Than make it:
  $ make tools-only LIBS="-lpsapi -limagehlp"

  I had 1 ICE while compiling /src/lib/Transforms/Scalar/InstructionCombining.cpp
  Everything was fixed, when I lowered optimization switch to -O2 and
  rebuild that file by hand.

3. GCC
We're using cygwin shell, as msys isn't able to handle GCC's auto*
machinery well. We're needing just folowing packages installed:

alternatives ash base-files base-passwd bash bzip2 clear coreutils
crypt cygutils cygwin cygwin-doc diffutils editrights expat findutils
gawk gdbm grep groff gzip less libbz2_1 libcharset1 libdb4.2 libdb4.3
libgdbm libgdbm-devel libgdbm3 libgdbm4 libiconv libiconv2 libintl libintl1
libintl2 libintl3 libncurses5 libncurses6 libncurses7 libncurses8 libpcre0
libpopt0 libreadline4 libreadline5 libreadline6 login m4 make man mktemp
ncurses openssl openssl097 perl python run sed tar tcltk termcap terminfo
texinfo unzip which zip zlib

(much of them, except make & perl are installed by default)

3.1 Black magic starts here....
3.1.1
Mount your drive to cygwin. So, inside shell my disk f: is looking
like directory /f

3.1.2
Much of autotools is using pwd command to extract current path.
Unfortunately, it's in form: /drive/path, but we wants it to be:
drive:/path. In order to do that, rename cygwin's pwd.exe located in
the /bin directory into pwd_real.exe and create file named "pwd" with
the folowing content (place it also in the /bin directory):

<=cut=>
#!/bin/sh

cygpath -m `pwd_real`
<=cut>

Copy that file into "my_pwd"
3.1.3
Start cygwin. Be sure, that no msys tools (sh.exe, make.exe, etc) is
staying in your path.
Type:

PWDCMD=/bin/my_pwd
export PWDCMD

3.2 Go to gccbuild directory and configure gcc:
$ ../gccsrc/configure --host=mingw32                  \
                      --target=mingw32                \
                      --prefix=f:/tmp/llvm/install    \
                      --enable-threads --disable-nls  \
                      --enable-languages=c,c++        \
                      --disable-win32-registry        \
                      --disable-shared                \
                      --enable-sjlj-exceptions        \
                      --enable-llvm=f:/tmp/llvm/build \
                      --program-prefix=llvm-

3.3 Make it!
$ make CFLAGS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer" CXXFLAGS="-mthreads -fno-omit-frame-pointer -O2"

3.4 Take a cup of coffee....

3.5 libstdc++ black magic
After some time you'll see error message from ar.exe complaining, that
It cannot create libstdc++.a file due to invalid path of form
/drive/path. Goto to gccbuild/mingw32libstdc++-v3 directory. Open file
libtool and replace all "`pwd" to "`my_pwd" and rerun make (you might
also do that just monitoring libtool creation and do this hack on-fly,
while libstdc++ is configuring).

You'll have error message about inline assembler in the atomicity.cc
(located in the gccbuild/mingw32/libstdc++-v3/src), feel free to comment
the entire loop there, since current version of llvm-gcc4 doesn't
support any exceptions yet. This should be definitely fixed in the
future. BTW, another patch (to gthr-win32.c) was supplied also to
overcome inline assembler handling bugs (both containing "lock xchg"
instructions).

3.6 libiberty issues

You might also find, that cc1 crashed compiling md5.c from libiberty.
This is due to some weird bug in Select_add routine from
X86GenDAGISel.inc. I don't know the reason, seems to be some stack
overflow or something like this. I'm investigating this problem.
Funny, that some other file with SHA implementation also causes such
crash ;) Maybe this is due to be amount of ariphmetical operations
inside.

3.7 You've done it!
$ make install

4. LLVM: rebuilding
Configure LLVM again (inside msys!) with
$ ../src/configure --enable-jit --enable-optimized --prefix=f:/tmp/llvm/build --with-llvmgccdir=f:/tmp/llvm/install

and make it as usual...

5. Congratulations: you've done it!

--
With best regards,
 Anton                          mailto:asl at math.spbu.ru

Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:37:17 AM

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint-Petersburg State University