[LLVMdev] Re: LLVMdev Digest, Vol 16, Issue 14

Robert L. Bocchino Jr. bocchino at uiuc.edu
Wed May 10 11:31:32 PDT 2006

> Bob, do you have an example to show how to specify vectors and their
> operations in C?
> I.e., is the documentation of the item #2 ready?

Yes, see $(VLLVM)/docs/VectorCReference.txt, where $(VLLVM) means the
source directory of the Vector LLVM tree.

Note that the Vector LLVM tree is way out of date with mainline LLVM,
and some of the vector operations (e.g. arithmetic, shuffling,
extracting and inserting scalars) are now available in mainline for
fixed-length or "packed" vectors.  The experimental Vector LLVM
branch allows some additional vector operations (e.g., compare,
select, pack, and unpack) and also has support for arbitrary-length
vectors.  Mainline vector support continues to improve, and many of
the additional "packed" operations supported by Vector LLVM will
eventually be part of mainline.  Right now I am working on adding
compare and select to mainline and hope to get that checked in soon.

Rob

Robert L. Bocchino Jr.
Ph.D. Student, Computer Science