[LLVMdev] Virtual "components" for llvm-config

Eric Kidd emk.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 05:07:11 PST 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 1:37 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Eric Kidd wrote:
>>  backend: Either a native backend or a C backend.
>>  engine: Enough libs to run ExecutionEngine using either a JIT or
>> interpreter.
>>  all: All LLVM libraries.
>>
>> Please feel free to suggest better names. :-)
>
> Instead of 'engine', how about "jit" and "interpreter".  Of course
> I'd think that "jit+interpreter" would also work (or something).

Right now, you can already use the following components:

   "--libs interpreter": Include just the interpreter.
   "--libs jit native": Include the JIT and the native backend for
the current platform.

If you say "engine", though, it will automatically choose between
these two options for you. This seems like a useful thing to have.

For a list of all possible components, run:

   llvm-config --components

You should be able to pick any LLVM library by name.[1]

Cheers,
Eric

[1]  Except "LLVMBackend.o", which clashes with the virtual "backend"
component, and can only be pulled in by another library. Maybe I
should rename the virtual "backend" component. :-(