[LLVMdev] Code instruction selection based on SSA-graphs

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Wed Jun 14 16:06:29 PDT 2006

> What do you think about this approach? Whould it be interesting to
> implement something like that for LLVM? May be you already have
> considered something like that? Are there any plans to it?

We have talked about whole function instruction selection but does
not have immediate plan to implement it. If we were to implement it
today, it would probably be done on DAGs with control flow between
blocks being modeled as chain operands.

Implementing what is described in the paper would require boolean
query system like PBQP. That's no trivial matter. We definitely
welcome contribution in this area. :-) In additional to being
required for the instruction selection algorithm described, it is
also very useful for backends with predicated execution (e.g. IA64).

Evan