[LLVMdev] Code instruction selection based on SSA-graphs

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 13:54:27 PDT 2006

> Erik Eckstein, Oliver König, Bernhard Scholz: Code Instruction
> Selection Based on SSA-Graphs. SCOPES 2003: 49-65
> http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~scholz/publications/scopes03.pdf

> What do you think about this approach? Whould it be interesting to
> implement something like that for LLVM? May be you already have
> considered something like that? Are there any plans to it?

I undertook some preliminary work in this space for my undergraduate
honours project with Bernhard Scholz at the University of Sydney last
year. The basic implementation of an SSA based pattern matcher
generator (in the style of BURGs) was implemented in Java with
generators for Java & C++. No code generation was implemented, only
pattern matching to get some rough timing details. There's still a
fair bit of work to be done, but my work is at least open source if
anyone wants to take a look. (probably the best way is to contact
Bernhard directly for the latest code/information:
http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/about/people/staff/scholz.shtml ). If my
code's still around & anyone gets/uses it I'm happy to answer
questions.

David