[LLVMdev] LLVM bytecode simulator/emulator?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Jul 17 15:41:23 PDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Kenneth Hoste wrote:
> Chris Lattner wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Kenneth Hoste wrote:
>>> Besides that, I can probably rely on the expierence of some people on this
>>> mailinglist?
>>
>> You can always ask, but realize you are at the mercy of people's goodwill,
>> so you can't count on anything.  In practice, we try to help, but are often
>> very busy.
>
> I understand, but any help I can get will be usefull I think. And, for what
> it's worth, my work will help LLVM growing, right?
>
> 2 more questions which can get me started:
>
> - Is there a particular version of glibc I should start from? llvm/runtime
> doesn't mention any version numbers (or I must have missed them).

You can use any implementation you want, it doesn't have to be glibc.
Maybe one of the 'tiny' libc implementations would serve your purposes
better.

> - If I'm correct, supporting new glibc functions means adding an
> implementation for them in llvm/runtime/GCCLibraries/libc/io.c (for example).
> Currently, only 'puts' is supported there.

Not necessarily, there is no need for you to integrate them into the llvm
build system.

> Only, in my current setup, the runtime libraries seem to be skipped:
> konijn:~/work/LLVM/bin boegel$ make
> Makefile:22: Skipping runtime libraries, llvm-gcc 4 detected.
>
> Why is that? Can I fix this by changing my configuration?

No.  llvm/runtime is specifically to support llvm-gcc3, and isn't used by
llvm-gcc4.  The goal isn't to provide parts of libc for "static linking",
the goal of that directory is to implement pieces of the runtime needed
for exception handling, etc, where we were not compatible with GCC.

When llvmgcc4 supports EH, it will use the standard GCC/system exception
handling libraries and ABI's.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/