[LLVMdev] LLVM bytecode simulator/emulator?

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
Fri Jul 14 13:07:20 PDT 2006

Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Kenneth Hoste wrote:
>> Besides that, I can probably rely on the expierence of some people on
>> this mailinglist?
>
> You can always ask, but realize you are at the mercy of people's
> goodwill, so you can't count on anything.  In practice, we try to help,
> but are often very busy.

I understand, but any help I can get will be usefull I think. And, for
what it's worth, my work will help LLVM growing, right?

2 more questions which can get me started:

- Is there a particular version of glibc I should start from?
llvm/runtime doesn't mention any version numbers (or I must have missed
them).

- If I'm correct, supporting new glibc functions means adding an
implementation for them in llvm/runtime/GCCLibraries/libc/io.c (for
example). Currently, only 'puts' is supported there.
Only, in my current setup, the runtime libraries seem to be skipped:

konijn:~/work/LLVM/bin boegel$ make
Makefile:22: Skipping runtime libraries, llvm-gcc 4 detected.

Why is that? Can I fix this by changing my configuration?

>> What is the best way to start such an ambitious project? Do I just
>> check which external functions are called in the bytecode I get, and
>> try to support those functions using LLVM code?
>
> llvm-dis < foo.bc | grep '^declare' will tell you all the external
> functions.

OK, thanks.

>> Why has no-one supported printf yet? Is it that hard (I have no idea
>> really, I'm only asking)?
>
> No one has needed it.

Well, I guess other people will be able to benefit from it, if I get it
to work that is :)

Kenneth

--
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what
they conceal is vital (Aaron Levenstein)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste