[LLVMdev] Soft-float

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Dec 20 11:29:37 PST 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Roman Levenstein wrote:
> Overall, it looks very nice and pretty clean. It is now extremely easy
> to add the soft-float support for your target. Just do not call
> addRegisterClass() for your FP types and they will be expanded into
> libcalls.

Great.

> a) It is not possible to express that:
>   - f32 and f64 are both illegal and therefore are mapped to integers
>   - but only f64 is emulated on the target and there are no f32
> arithmetic libcalls available (which is the case on our target)
>
> To make it possible, f32 should be always promoted first to f64 and
> then an f64 operation should be applied.

Ok.  This shouldn't be the default behavior (because it will generate
significantly less efficient code for targets that have both) but we
should support this.

> I see a small problem here with the current code, since f32 should be
> promoted to the illegal type f64. It might require some special-case
> handling eventually. For example, what should be the result
> getTypeToTransformTo(f32)? On the one hand, it is f64. On the other
> hand it is illegal.

I think getTypeToTransformTo(f32) should return f64.  That would be
recursively expanded to i64, then to 2x i32 if needed.

I haven't looked at the mechanics required to get this working, but it
shouldn't be too ugly.

> b) LLVM currently uses hard-wired library function names for
>  FP libcalls (and ALL other libcalls as well). It would be nice if
> they would be customizable, since some targets (e.g. some embedded
> systems) have some existing naming conventions that are to be followed
> and cannot be changed. For example, on our embedded target all libcalls
> for soft-float and some integer operations have very target-specific
> names for historical reasons.
>
> TargetLowering class specific for a target could be extended to handle
> that and this would require only minor changes.

Yes, TargetLowering would be a natural place to put this.  Patches welcome
:)

> c) LLVM libcalls currently pass their parameters on stack. But on some
> embedded systems FP support routines expect parameters on specific
> registers.
>   At the moment, SelectionDAGLegalize::ExpandLibCall() explicitly uses
> CallingConv::C, but it could be made customizable by introducing a
> special libcall calling convention or even better by allowing the
> target specific lowering of libcalls. Actually it can be combined with
> the solution for (b). In this case target-specific lowering can take
> care about names of libcalls and also how they handle their parameters
> and return values.

Yep, TargetLowering can have a pair for each libcall: a function name and
a calling convention to use.  Patches welcome :)

> d) Would it be possible with current implementation of soft-float
> support to map f32/f64 to integer types smaller than i32, e.g. to i16?
> I have the impression that it is not necessarily the case, since it
> would require that f64 is split into 4 parts.

Yes, this should be fine.

>   This question is more about a theoretical possibility. At the moment
> my embedded target supports i32 registers. But some embedded systems
> are still only 16bit, which means that they would need something like
> this.
>   I'm wondering, how easy or difficult would it be to support such a
> mapping to any integer type?

It should be transparently handled by the framework.  Basically, you'd
get:

f32 -> f64 -> i64 -> 2x i32 -> 4x i16

If you don't add a register class for i32 or i64, but you do have one for
i16, legalize will already 'expand' them for you.

Note that we don't have any 16-bit targets in CVS, so there may be minor
bugs, but the framework is all there.  Duraid was working on a 16-bit port
at one point (and reported a few bugs, which were fixed) but it was never
contributed.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/