[LLVMdev] LLVM versus Intel's PIN tool

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Nov 6 17:06:23 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 duraid at octopus.com.au wrote:
>> A. The testresults at http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/testresults/X86/ show that
>> several benchmarks (swim, applu, tomcatv, su2cor...) in the Spec CFP 2000
>> and 95 suites failed when run under the JIT. Why did they fail and what
>> are the limitations in running Spec benchmarks?
>
> I'm not sure why these don't run in the JIT, actually. They should.
> (Anyone?)

They fail because they are not loading fortran runtime library, thus they
fail with unresolved symbols.  One way to deal with this would be to
compile the fortran runtime library with LLVM itself (which we've done),
to teach the JIT to load .a files, or to use a different Fortran
front-end.

Note that the X86 tester is using F2C to run fortran programs.  It is not
compatible with all of the SPEC tests (e.g. those that use FORTRAN 95).
To support these, using something like the NAG fortran front-end would be
a better idea (and it does work with LLVM).

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/