[LLVMdev] new IA64 backend

Duraid Madina duraid at octopus.com.au
Thu Mar 17 18:49:13 PST 2005

Andrew Lenharth wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 05:04 +0900, Duraid Madina wrote:
>>	- No varargs
>
> What are your issues here?  Or are they simply at the "not implemented
> so I don't know" stage?

The two bugs I mentioned (no varargs, no alloca) are pretty much two
sides of the same coin: I'm ignoring the IA64 stack frame layout (for no
good reason), so these don't work. Actually, varargs seems particularly
simple on IA64, so I'll swat these two bugs pretty soon.

> Namely, I am working on some varargs changes
> that may or may not be applicable to you.

Hmm. :)

>>	- No instruction scheduling/bundling of any sort
>
> So this one needs to be coordinated.  Next week, I might see about
> adding MachineInstruction support to the SelectionDAG so you can load up
> a DAG post-ISel and then spit it back out scheduled.

That would be much appreciated, particularly if it means that we can
have scheduled MachineInstructions living alongside DAGs in such a way
that changing the DAG (adding/removing a couple of instructions, say)
doesn't _necessarily_ require rescheduling the whole function. I'm
thinking of a future JIT here, where it would be nice to be able to
sprinkle/reap instrumentation code over functions at high speed.

	Duraid