[LLVMdev] SimplifyLibCalls Pass -- Help!

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Wed Apr 27 22:42:40 PDT 2005

I've been working on some basic library call optimizations, the
SimplifyLibCalls pass (lib/Transforms/IPO/SimplifyLibCalls.cpp). Tonight
I conjured up a list of the potential libcall simplifications that could
be done. There's a lot of them. I could use some help if anyone wants to
pitch in.  The individual optimizations are self-contained and fairly
straight forward to write. They range from easy to tough.  Anyone
wanting to get their feet wet in LLVM optimization passes might find
this an interesting place to start.  Anyway, is a list of what needs be
done:  Please let me know if (a) you're going to write one of these
transforms (so we don't duplicate efforts), (b) you don't understand one
of them or (c) you find a bug in one of them.

Thanks,

Reid

 abs:
   * abs(cnst) -> cnst'

 atan:
   * atan(0.0) -> 0.0
   * atan(1.0) -> pi/4

 cbrt:
   * cbrt(constant) -> constant'
   * cbrt(expN(X))  -> expN(x/3)
   * cbrt(sqrt(x))  -> pow(x,1/6)
   * cbrt(sqrt(x))  -> pow(x,1/9)

 ceil, ceilf, ceill:
   * ceil(constant) -> constant'

 cos, cosf, cosl:
   * cos(0.0) -> 1.0
   * cox(-x)  -> cos(x)

 exp, expf, expl:
   * exp(0.0)     -> 1.0
   * exp(int)     -> contant'
   * exp(log(x))  -> x

 fabs, fabsf, fabsl:
   * fabs(cnst)    -> cnst'

 ffs, ffsl, ffsll:
   * ffs(cnst)     -> cnst'

 floor, floorf, floorl:
   * floor(cnst) -> cnst'

 fprintf:
   * fprintf(file,fmt) -> fputs(fmt,file)
       (if fmt is constant and constains no % characters)
   * fprintf(file,"%s",str) -> fputs(orig,str)
       (only if the fprintf result is not used)
   * fprintf(file,"%c",chr) -> fputc(chr,file)

 fputs: (only if the result is not used)
   * fputs("",F) -> noop
   * fputs(s,F)  -> fputc(s[0],F)        (if s is constant and strlen(s)
== 1)
   * fputs(s,F)  -> fwrite(s, 1, len, F) (if s is constant and strlen(s)
> 1)

 isascii:
   * isascii(c)    -> ((c & ~0x7f) == 0)

 isdigit:
   * isdigit(c)    -> (unsigned)(c) - '0' <= 9

 log, logf, logl:
   * log(1.0)      -> 0.0
   * log(exp(x))   -> x
   * log(x**y)     -> y*log(x)
   * log(exp(y))   -> y*log(e)
   * log(exp2(y))  -> y*log(2)
   * log(exp10(y)) -> y*log(10)
   * log(sqrt(x))  -> 0.5*log(x)
   * log(pow(x,y)) -> y*log(x)

 lround, lroundf, lroundl:
   * lround(cnst) -> cnst'

 memcmp:
   * memcmp(s1,s2,0) -> 0
   * memcmp(x,x,l)   -> 0
   * memcmp(x,y,l)   -> cnst
      (if all arguments are constant and strlen(x) <= l and strlen(y) <=
l)
   * memcpy(x,y,1)   -> *x - *y

 memcpy:
   * memcpy(d,s,0,a) -> d

 memmove:
   * memmove(d,s,l,a) -> memcpy(d,s,l,a)
       (if s is a global constant array)

 memset:
   * memset(s,c,0) -> noop
   * memset(s,c,n) -> store s, c
      (for n=1,2,4,8)

 pow, powf, powl:
   * pow(1.0,y)     -> 1.0
   * pow(x,0.0)     -> 1.0
   * pow(x,1.0)     -> x
   * pow(x,-1.0)    -> 1.0/x
   * pow(x,0.5)     -> sqrt(x)
   * pow(cst1,cst2) -> const1**const2
   * pow(exp(x),y)  -> exp(x*y)
   * pow(sqrt(x),y) -> pow(x,y*0.5)
   * pow(pow(x,y),z)-> pow(x,y*z)

 puts:
   * puts("") -> fputc("\n",stdout) (how do we get "stdout"?)

 round, roundf, roundl:
   * round(cnst) -> cnst'

 signbit:
   * signbit(cnst) -> cnst'
   * signbit(nncst) -> 0 (if pstv is a non-negative constant)

 sin, sinf, sinl:
   * sin(0.0) -> 0.0

 sprintf:
   * sprintf(dest,fmt) -> strcpy(dest,fmt)
       (if fmt is constant and constains no % characters)
   * sprintf(dest,"%s",orig) -> strcpy(dest,orig)
       (only if the sprintf result is not used)

 sqrt, sqrtf, sqrtl:
   * sqrt(cnst) -> cnst'
   * sqrt(expN(x))  -> expN(x*0.5)
   * sqrt(Nroot(x)) -> pow(x,1/(2*N))
   * sqrt(pow(x,y)) -> pow(|x|,y*0.5)

 strchr, strrchr:
   * strchr(s,c)  -> offset_of_in(c,s)
      (if c is a constant integer and s is a constant string)
   * strrchr(s,c) -> reverse_offset_of_in(c,s)
      (if c is a constant integer and s is a constant string)
   * strrchr(s1,0) -> strchr(s1,0)

 strcmp:
   * strcmp(x,x)  -> 0
   * strcmp(x,"") -> *x
   * strcmp("",x) -> *x
   * strcmp(x,y)  -> cnst  (if both x and y are constant strings)

 strncat:
   * strncat(x,y,0) -> x
   * strncat(x,y,0) -> x (if strlen(y) = 0)
   * strncat(x,y,l) -> strcat(x,y) (if y and l are constants an l >
strlen(y))

 strncmp:
   * strncmp(x,y,0)   -> 0
   * strncmp(x,x,l)   -> 0
   * strncmp(x,"",l)  -> *x
   * strncmp("",x,l)  -> *x
   * strncmp(x,y,1)   -> *x - *y

 strncpy:
   * strncpy(d,s,0) -> d
   * strncpy(d,s,l) -> memcpy(d,s,l,1)
      (if s and l are constants)

 strpbrk:
   * strpbrk(s,a) -> offset_in_for(s,a)
      (if s and a are both constant strings)
   * strpbrk(s,"") -> 0
   * strpbrk(s,a) -> strchr(s,a[0]) (if a is constant string of length
1)

 strspn, strcspn:
   * strspn(s,a)   -> const_int (if both args are constant)
   * strspn("",a)  -> 0
   * strspn(s,"")  -> 0
   * strcspn(s,a)  -> const_int (if both args are constant)
   * strcspn("",a) -> 0
   * strcspn(s,"") -> strlen(a)

 strstr:
   * strstr(x,x)  -> x