[LLVMdev] Optional Target Builds

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Apr 22 08:16:12 PDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Vikram S. Adve wrote:
>> I think this makes the most sense.  I assume that enabled-but-not-linked
>> targets are built into shared objects?
>
> This makes sense to to me too, except I agree with a couple of the others
> that it would be most convenient to build only for the host machine by
> default.  That is nearly always needed and most likely to minimize redundant
> compile/link time.

To me, getting testing is more important than user convenience in this
case.  In particular, people who build on slow machines often can just use
the configure option to just build and link in the target matching the
host.  If we default to building everything then new users (or people who
want to test everything on a regular basis) will build everything by
default, but people on slow machines can choose to disable certain chunks.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/