[LLVMdev] Trailing whitespace removal (important for CVS users!)

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:51:43 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:57:54PM -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Reid Spencer wrote:
> >Why not put all this into a pre-commit filter in CVS and be done with
> >it? We'd never be bothered with it again as it would never be
> >committed again.
>
> I'd rather not have CVS commit scripts mucking with the code.

I think Reid means to have a script that *prevents* checkin of code that
does not conform to some standards, verified by a pre-checking script.
The script would *not* be auto-modifying code before/after checkin.

My only issue is that it slows down the commits for all committers...
But it would force everyone to follow the coding standard(s)!

> If you want to have the nightly tester whine about source code with
> spaces at the end of lines (like it whines about compiler warnings),
> that would be fine.

I was going to go that route, actually.

> BTW, does anyone know how to tell xemacs to autodelete end of line
> spaces?

% which xemacs
xemacs: aliased to vim

in other words, no clue. ;)