[LLVMdev] Constants.cpp:368: error: `INT8_MAX' undeclared (firstuse this function)

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu Jul 15 15:58:41 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:57:20 -0500 (CDT)
  Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:

> CPR would be really nice.  There is also this ephemeral PPC support that
> may or may not make it, but would be really awesome it if did.  I would
> also like to turn on some sort of interprocedural alias analysis by
> default (for performance).

CPR might make it in the next couple of weeks. Depends on my time
availability and how many nasty bugs I run into. Do you really think a
viable PPC be is doable in a couple of weeks? Lawyers being what they are, I
doubt they'll dot the i's and cross the t's before the next couple of weeks.
as for IAA, sounds great.

> Another thing that is on my short list for 1.3 is to get as many .bc
> format changes out of the way as possible so the backwards compat code in
> the .bc reader is simpler.  In particular, I would at least like to get
> placeholders for PR263 and maybe PR400.

This I strongly agree with. We need to minimize impact to end users. I'll do
what I can but I think CPR is a higher value target so will focus on that
first.

> Personally I think that we've waited much too long for the 1.3 release,

me too :(

> but there is a cost to doing to testing and packaging for a release.
> This responsibility usually falls on John Criswell's shoulders, so we try
> to fit these things into his schedule.

Hmm. I think that kinda needs to change, especially as number of LLVM
developers goes. Everyone needs to get involved just before a release and
test, test, fix, test.  Testing should be divied up (especially known
problems). Developers should be assigned to expand/strengthen testing in
areas new to the release, etc. Leaving it in one person's hands is both a
bottleneck and kinda unfair to John (unless he's a masochist)

> :)  In my personal view of the
> world, I think that 2 or 3 months between a release is about right.

4 releases per year is pretty standard. 1 per quarter. Certainly the
frequency shouldn't be less unless there is some strong need or a given
release proves problematic to test, but 1ce per quarter suits me well.

> Thoughts?

Now you have them :)

Reid