[LLVMdev] LLVM Objective-C backend

Brian R. Gaeke gaeke at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 8 23:29:23 PST 2004

> LLVM has C and C++ backends, so I was wondering if there is any plan to
> add support to Objective-C. The reason for this question is that I have
> an Objective-C platform that I would really like to run under LLVM.

I'd say, give it a try and see what breaks. None of us know ObjC
very well, so we haven't tried it.  I'd start by following the
Getting Started guide. You'll need to build your own copy of llvm-gcc
to support ObjC; the only difference from the CFE Build Instructions
document would be (at least, as far as I know) to configure llvm-gcc
with --enable-languages=c,c++,objc .

We welcome any feedback (and especially patches to get ObjC to work).

-Brian

gaeke at uiuc.edu