[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 4 12:23:08 PDT 2004

Misha Brukman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:19:58AM -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
>
>>How about something along the notion of "build or construct" as in we
>>have two primary tools in llvm:
>>
>>llvm-build - builds programs to be run
>

> llvm-build or llvm-driver are both kinda long but at least they make
> sense...
>
> As an aside, llava and llama are both taken, llvmize? llvminator?
> llvm-emerge a la gentoo?

Actually, I like llama.  It sounds cool.

Anybody got an idea of what it could stand for?

-- John T.

>>llvm-run    - runs programs built by llvm-build
>

> Wait, is llvm-run the same as lli?
> Or is it "compile to native, link, run native version"?
> Or does it not matter?
>

>>I'm not thrilled with llvm-build because its dull but from the
>>dictionary there is also:
>>
>>llvm-construct (too long?)
>>llvm-make        (obvious confusion)
>>llvm-forge       (obscure)
>>llvm-erect       (double entendre)
>

> yeah, these aren't the most clear, easy-to-type-and-understand names. :)

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *