[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

Tanya Brethour tonic at nondot.org
Mon Aug 2 18:12:10 PDT 2004

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > I actually like Misha's point here. Most people that have used GCC
> > recently realize that the CC means "Compiler Collection" and not "C
> > Compiler" which is appropriate given what it does. Since we intend to be
> > front end language agnostic and the driver tool will support multiple
> > front end languages, "Compiler Collection" is appropriate for LLVM too.
> >
> > I agree that llvm is overloaded and should be avoided. So its either
> > llvmc or llvmcc. My vote is for the latter.
>
> What is the difference between a "compiler collection" and a "compiler"?
> how about llvmcs "llvm-compiler system" or something else non-cc? :)

I think that we can really pick any name that we want. We don't have to go
along with "tradition" and name it "cc". Personally, compiler collection
is kinda lame anyways. I'm all about something short though, so "llvmc" is
my vote.

Ok. So i voted, so now can we tally the votes and put this discussion to
an end? ;)

-Tanya