[LLVMdev] Build System Changes

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 26 09:44:02 PST 2003

Dear All,

	I committed some build system changes yesterday that will interest
people who get LLVM via CVS.

	Specifically, I have modified the build system so that it will
automatically install Makefiles into the object tree when attempting to
build a subdirectory.  All of the copying of Makefiles from the source
tree to the object tree has been removed from the configure script.

	This has several ramifications:

	1) Adding a directory no longer requires updating the configure script,
and you won't have to reconfigure every time we add a new library, tool,
or test program.

	2) Many Makefiles won't appear in your object tree right away; they
will appear after you do a build from the top level directory.

	3) If you place a project underneath llvm/projects, the LLVM configure
script will automatically attempt to configure it for you and add it to
the LLVM build process.

	This system should be nicer than the previous system where additions to
the source tree usually required changes to the configure script,
requiring everybody to reconfigure their source trees.

	If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

John T. Criswell

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *