[LLVMdev] how to solve it

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 26 08:33:01 PST 2003

yueqiang wrote:
> hi,
> when I run "make -C ./llvm/test/Programs", it show following error:

A few questions:

1. Does the build work if you do the following?

% cd ./llvm/test/Programs
% make

2. What are the pathnames to the source tree and object tree?

3. Can you show us how you configured LLVM?

4. If the build continues to fail, please run it again with gmake
VERBOSE=1 and send the output to llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu.  That will give us
more information to diagnose the problem.

Another recommendation: It seems that you are building LLVM as root.
You should not need root to build LLVM, and I would encourage you to
build LLVM as a regular user on your system.  Bugs are more dangerous if
exposed by the root user.

Regards,

John T. Criswell

> [root at RH9 llvm]# make -C ./llvm/test/Programs
> make: Entering directory `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs'
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs/SingleSource'
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs/SingleSource/UnitTests'
> make[3]: Entering directory
>  `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs/SingleSource/UnitTests/SetjmpLongjmp'
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `Output/C++Catch.linked.rll', needed
> by `Output/C++Catch.linked.bc'.  Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
>  `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs/SingleSource/UnitTests/SetjmpLongjmp'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs/SingleSource/UnitTests'
> make[1]: *** [UnitTests/.makeall] Error 2
>  make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs/SingleSource'
> make: *** [SingleSource/.makeall] Error 2
> make: Leaving directory `/usr/local/llvm/llvm/test/Programs'
>  [root at RH9 llvm]#

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *