[LLVMdev] Headers & Libraries

Alkis Evlogimenos alkis at evlogimenos.com
Fri Nov 14 13:51:02 PST 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 01:22 pm, Reid Spencer wrote:
> There is no separation of headers and cpp files. When I specify my
> makefiles, I indicate which headers are public (installable) and which
> are private (not installed).

IMO it is better to include with "" internal header files that are never
installed as is the case with all headers under lib. It makes file
self-documenting in terms of headers being public or private which in turn
helps when browsing the code as you know where to look for an included
header.

> This arrangement has worked well and I'd advise LLVM to follow a similar
> pattern to avoid end-user confusion (like mine) down the road.

As Chris said this is not of high priority right now. I think it would be nice
to have but I am not sure if everyone is convinced (or even anyone else in
the group). If/when we decide to go for it, it may be best if we open a bug
for it and let some contributor handle it, as there are much more important/
interesting issues we need to address and the cost/benefit ratio of this
issue is very low.

In any case, we will get more discussion on this on Sunday, so let's hold our
breath until then...

--

Alkis