[llvm-announce] LLVM 2.1 Release!

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Sep 26 23:22:39 PDT 2007

Hi All,

LLVM 2.1 is done!  Download it here:  http://llvm.org/releases/ or
view the release notes: http://llvm.org/releases/2.1/docs/
ReleaseNotes.html

The LLVM 2.1 has many improvements, including three new front-ends, a
huge reduction in -O3 compile times, a new (beta) MIPS backend, and
many optimizer/code generator changes that allow LLVM to produce
better code.  In addition to new features, LLVM 2.1 includes a large
number of bug fixes found by compiling a huge number of applications,
OS kernels, and very large open source projects.

Organizationally, the LLVM 2.1 cycle is memorable for several
reasons.  In this release we switched from CVS to SVN, moved llvm-gcc
to the main LLVM server (it used to be in a private repository which
was mirrored publicly once a day), and grew the community very
rapidly: we added many new commiters.  Another interesting metric is
the the main LLVM repository (not counting llvm-gcc or other separate
projects) crossed 500,000 lines of code: http://llvm.org/nightlytest/
locgraph.php?xsize=900&ysize=600 .

One of the highlights of this release cycle was the ability for many
of us to get together to meet face to face at the 2007 LLVM Developer
Meeting: http://llvm.org/devmtg/2007-05/ .  If you're interested,
many great talks about LLVM are available on that page, including a
great section where everyone introduces themselves to the world :).

In the end, the most exciting thing about the LLVM project is seeing
all the ways that people apply the technology and having happy
users.  If you're currently using LLVM for nifty things (http://
llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/Users.html) or are writing papers (http://llvm.org/
pubs/), please let us know.  Over this release we added a number of
interesting publications, but I am certain that we're missing some.
If you're using LLVM please let us know - it's free advertising for
you and your work. :)

Instead of including a list of the major features in this
announcement as I normally do, I'll point you to the LLVM 2.1 release
notes [ http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html#whatsnew ] which
includes the high-level items.

This release wouldn't be possible without many people in the LLVM
community: building new features, reporting bugs, testing the pre-
release bits, and contributing in many other ways.  Tanya deserves
many thanks in particular for doing a great job with release
management, which is often a thankless task.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the LLVMdev
mailing list (llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu)!

-Chris

Previous Announcement (LLVM 2.0):
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-announce/2007-May/000023.html