[lldb-dev] Optional Dependencies in LLDB

Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 7 13:01:25 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 12:52 PM Martin Storsjö <martin at martin.st> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020, Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev wrote:
>
> > I just wanted to let you know that most of the work is complete for
> > auto-detecting optional dependencies in LLDB. Unless explicitly
> > specified, optional dependencies like editline will be enabled when
> > available and disabled otherwise. This is different from  the old
> > behavior, where optional dependencies were that were enabled by
> > default would cause an error at configuration time. The motivation is
> > to make it easier to build LLDB by making things "just work" out of
> > the box.
>
> I think (didn't test at the moment, just browsed the cmakefiles) one case
> that still isn't handled properly, is the interaction between python/lua
> and swig. If python or lua are detected, they are enabled, and then the
> build strictly requires SWIG to be present.

Yup, good point, that's still on my TODO list.

> I think we should check for SWIG first and require it to be present before
> automatically enabling python and lua.

That would make sense, but I haven't gone that route because
downstream (Swift) we have the Python bindings checked-in. So it's not
necessary to have SWIG in order to enable Python. Of course downstream
shouldn't direct what we do upstream, but if I can figure out a
solution that minimizes divergence I strongly prefer that. I'm hoping
to get to this soon.