[lldb-dev] Minimum required swig version?

Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 16 15:08:44 PDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 2:42 PM Davidino Italiano via lldb-dev <
lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Ted Woodward via lldb-dev <
> lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> http://lldb.llvm.org/resources/build.html Says we need swig 2 or later:
>
> If you want to run the test suite, you’ll need to build LLDB with Python
> scripting support.
> ·         Python <http://www.python.org/>
> ·         SWIG <http://swig.org/> 2 or later.
>
> I don’t think this is correct anymore.
>
> test/API/python_api/sbenvironment/TestSBEnvironment.py has this line:
>         env.Set("FOO", "bar", overwrite=True)
>
> lldb built with swig 2.0.11 fails this test with the error:
>     env.Set("FOO", "bar", overwrite=True)
> TypeError: Set() got an unexpected keyword argument 'overwrite'
>
> It works when lldb is built with swig 3.0.8.
>

> Yes, we bumped the swig requirements.
> Swig-2, among others, don’t support python 3 correctly.

I think you're confusing SWIG 1.x and SWIG 2.x. We bumped the requirements
to 2, because that's the first version that correctly supported Python 3.
Personally I don't mind bumping the version again, but this seems more like
a bug that we should be able to fix with SWIG 2.