[lldb-dev] RFC: Eliminate LLDB_DISABLE_PYTHON

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 7 11:37:18 PST 2019

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:03 AM Jim Ingham via lldb-dev <
lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Even though you can just use debugserver/lldb-server and debug remotely,
> many people find it handy to be able to run a debugger directly on the
> device they are using.  But requiring that you port Python and bundle it
> with your embedded platform just to get a debugger there is a pretty big
> ask.  So it is still quite useful to be able to build lldb without Python.
> This option hasn't been broken all that frequently in our uses, but if it
> is being a problem, the better solution would be to set up a bot to build
> with this option, so we can make sure it keeps working.

That's true, but there's a maintenance burden associated with this
handiness, and if nobody uses it that much (or at all?), it's better IMO to
optimize for low maintenance.  Every time I've tried this configuration it
has been broken, which leads me to believe that in practice nobody is
actually using it.  If that really is the case, I'd rather it be gone.  I
don't think we should keep code around just in case, without specific
evidence that it's providing value.