[lldb-dev] LLDB behaviour for GCed sections

James Henderson via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 6 05:50:38 PST 2017

Hi,

I’m currently investigating the behaviour of different debuggers when
functions have been stripped by the linker because they are unused. I tried
looking at the source code, but couldn’t really make enough sense of it to
answer the question. Would someone be able to explain what LLDB’s behaviour
is when it encounters a function in debug information with an address of
zero (as is the case for lld and other linker output with --gc-sections)?
In particular, does it simply ignore the relevant block of debug
information, as appears to be the case for gdb? I’m coming at this from a
DWARF perspective, if that makes any difference.

James