[lldb-dev] process launch without install

Christopher Book via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 08:23:25 PDT 2017

Hi, I'm remote debugging to linux (from windows), and I'm trying to launch
a binary that already exists on both the client and target machines.
Regardless of what I do, it always wants to transfer the (very large)
executable to the remote machine and run it.  Is there a way to avoid this?

I'm running this, with lldb launched from the client working dir that
contains the binary:
> platform select remote-linux
> platform settings -w /remote/working/dir
> platform connect connect://remotehost:44333
> target create -r binaryname binaryname
> process launch -s

I always end up with a large transfer, due to the install.  From the logs:

Target::lldb_private::Target::Launch() called for
C:\my\local\working\dir\binaryname
Platform::Install (src='C:\my\local\working\dir\binaryname',
dst='/remote/working/dir/binaryname')

Regardless of what I do, I always end up with a copy to the remote working
dir.  If I specify the full path to the remote binary, it creates a new
copy in the remote working dir.  In the above example I have the binary
already in the working dir and the transfer still occurs.

Is there a way to avoid the copy when the binary exists on both sides?

Thanks,
Chris