[lldb-dev] Ubuntu version-based fail/skip

Todd Fiala via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 22 10:31:01 PST 2016

Hey all,

What do you think about having some kind of way of marking the (in this
case, specifically) Ubuntu distribution for fail/skip test decorators?
I've had a few cases where I've needed to mark tests failing on for Ubuntu
where it really was only a particular release of an Ubuntu distribution,
and wasn't specifically the compiler.  (i.e. it was a constellation of more
moving parts that clearly occur on a particular release of an Ubuntu
distribution but not on others, and certainly not generically across all
Linux distributions).

I'd love to have a way to skip and xfail a test for a specific Ubuntu
distribution release.  I guess it could be done uber-genrically, but with
Linux distributions this can get complicated due to the os/distribution
axes.  So I'd be happy to start off with just having them at a distribution
basis:

@skipIfUbuntu(version_check_list)  # version_check_list contains one or
more version checks that, if passing, trigger the skip

@expectedFailureUbuntu(version_check_list)  # similar to above

Or possibly more usefully,

@skipIfLinuxDistribution(version_check_list)  # version_check_list contains
one or more version checks that, if passing, trigger the skip, includes the
distribution

@expectedFailureLinuxDistribution(version_check_list)  # similar to above

It's not clear to me how to work in the os=linux, distribution=Ubuntu into
the more generic checks like and get distribution-level version checking
working right otherwise, but I'm open to suggestions.

The workaround for the short term is to just use blanket-linux @skipIf and
@expectedFailure style calls.

Thoughts?
--