[lldb-dev] clang-format now supports return type on separate line

Todd Fiala via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 21 08:41:48 PST 2016

Glad to see clang-format getting some improvements.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> As far as I'm aware, this is the last major incompatibility between LLDB's
> style and clang-format's feature set.
>
> I would appreciate it if more people could try it out with a few of their
> patches, and let me know if any LLDB style incompatibilities arise in the
> formatted code.
>
> I would eventually like to move towards requiring that all patches be
> clang-formatted before committing to LLDB.

Question to the group on that last part.  I think if we have a large body
of code that is just getting a few tweaks to a method, having the patch run
through the formatter could lead to some pretty ugly code.  Imagine a few
lines of a file awkwardly formatted related to the rest of the file.  Since
we're not trying to reformat everything at once (which makes for difficult
code traceability), and given there was a large code base to start with
before LLDB was part of LLVM, I'm not sure we want a blanket statement that
says it must go through clang-format.  (I personally would be fine with
doing whole new functions and other logical blocks of code via clang-format
when inserted into existing code, but I think it probably extreme when
we're talking about new little sections within existing functions).

Thoughts?

--
-Todd