[lldb-dev] A few questions about SWIG and interface compatibility

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Thu Feb 26 10:08:51 PST 2015

First, do we require a minimum version of SWIG?  I think the answer to this
is currently no.  My next question is whether we can require 3.0?  It was
released close to a year ago, so it should be fairly stable.  SWIG 3.0
contains some bugfixes that are useful for generating correct wrappers on
Windows, especially with typedefs.

My second question is about our interface guarantees.  Are we guaranteeing
interface compatibility at the C++ level, or only at the wrapped level?
 i.e. is it ok to change the signature of a C++ method as long as SWIG can
ultimately generate a wrapper that behaves identically?