[lldb-dev] Separating test runner and tests

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 15:30:23 PST 2015

Currently our folder structure looks like this:

lldbsuite
|-- test
    |-- dotest.py
    |-- dosep.py
    |-- lldbtest.py
    |-- ...
    |-- functionalities
    |-- lang
    |-- expression_command
    |-- ...
etc

I've been thinking about organizing it like this instead:

lldbsuite
|-- test
    |-- functionalities
    |-- lang
    |-- expression_command
    |-- ...
|-- engine
    |-- dotest.py
    |-- dosep.py
    |-- lldbtest.py
    |-- ...

Anybody have any thoughts on this?  Good idea or bad idea?  The main reason
I want to do this is because as we start breaking up some of the code, it
makes sense to start having some subpackages under the `engine` folder (or
the `test` folder in our current world).  For example, Todd and I have
discussed the idea of putting formatter related stuff under a `formatters`
subpackage.  In the current world, there's no way to differentiate between
folders which contain tests and folders which contain test infrastructure,
so when we walk the directory tree looking for tests we end up walking a
bunch of directories that are used for test infrastructure code and not
actual tests.  So I like the logical separation this provides -- having the
tests themselves all under a single subpackage.

Thoughts?