[lldb-dev] Crashing thread from Core Dump

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Mon Apr 20 10:01:37 PDT 2015

> On Apr 18, 2015, at 1:11 PM, Karl Johan Krantz <karl.johan.krantz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently building a solution that parses stack traces from lldb into json, but I've run into the issue where I'm not able to find out which thread actually caused the crash itself.
> In GDB, the default selected thread seems to be the one that crashed, but in LLDB it always seems like thread 1 is selected.
> I had a feeling the python api might export the data I needed, but stop_reason and similar properties didn't seem to vary between the crashing/non-crashing threads.

I am not sure we always know from a core file why things crashed. Is this information found in the ELF core file? It probably isn't. I don't think it is available in mach-o core files either.

LLDB will always select the crashing thread if the thread had a stop reason. Let me know if this isn't happening. What does the output of:

(lldb) thread list

show? It should list all of the threads and their stop reasons, but again, I don't think core files contain the stop reasons for each thread so there is no way the ProcessElfCore plug-in can set the stop reason correctly.