[lldb-dev] Frame documentation

Jason Molenda jason at molenda.com
Sat Nov 29 15:49:34 PST 2014

Hi Jose,

There is API documentation, I think it would help to answer some of these questions.  From within lldb you can do

(lldb) script help (lldb.SBLineEntry)

There's a copy of the documentation at http://lldb.llvm.org/python_reference/index.html although the one in lldb is the most up-to-date.

The methods on the SBFrame object should do everything you want.

Process 98511 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 0x1b8a20, 0x0000000100000eba a.out`main(argc=1, argv=0x00007fff5fbffb40) + 122 at a.c:11, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = step over
    #0: 0x0000000100000eba a.out`main(argc=1, argv=0x00007fff5fbffb40) + 122 at a.c:11
   8   	    for (int i = 0; i < arrsize; i++)
   9   	        for (int j = 0; j < arrsize; j++)
   10  	        {
-> 11  	            buf[i*j] = accum++;
   12  	        }
   13
   14  	    return buf[(arrsize * arrsize) - 2] + printf ("%d\n", buf[(arrsize * arrsize) - 3]);
(lldb) fr v
(int) argc = 1
(char **) argv = 0x00007fff5fbffb40
(const int) arrsize = 10
(int) accum = 1
(int) i = 0
(int) j = 0
(lldb) scri

>>> print lldb.frame.GetLineEntry().IsValid()
True
>>> print lldb.frame.GetLineEntry().GetFileSpec().GetFilename()
a.c
>>> print lldb.frame.GetLineEntry().GetLine()
11

>>> print lldb.frame.GetFunction().IsValid()
True
>>> print lldb.frame.GetFunction().GetName()
main
>>> print lldb.frame.GetFunctionName()
main

>>> print  lldb.frame.GetPCAddress().GetLoadAddress(lldb.target) - lldb.frame.GetFunction().GetStartAddress().GetLoadAddress(lldb.target)
122

>>> vars = lldb.frame.GetVariables(True, True, False, True)
>>> print vars.IsValid()
True
>>> print vars.GetSize()
8
>>> print vars.GetValueAtIndex(0).GetName()
argc

Note that I'm using "lldb.frame" in these examples.  This is only defined in interactive scripting mode, along with lldb.thread, lldb.process, lldb.target.  For Python commands that you're writing, you'll be passed in a 'debugger' object and you can do things like

  if debugger and debugger.GetSelectedTarget() and debugger.GetSelectedTarget().GetProcess():
    process = debugger.GetSelectedTarget().GetProcess()
    if process and process.GetSelectedThread().IsValid():
      thread = process.GetSelectedThread()
      frame = thread.GetFrameAtIndex(0)

There's a newer alternate format for python commands where it gets passed in a symbol context (which would give you the frame, thread, process, target all in one) but I don't remember the format for that off-hand.