[lldb-dev] Process plugin implementation with multiple threads

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Fri Nov 14 16:20:46 PST 2014

On Fri Nov 14 2014 at 4:13:17 PM <jingham at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Nov 14, 2014, at 3:46 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's possible, but Windows gives us a handle to the thread which has all
> privileges associated with it (in other words we can use it for just about
> anything), so it's considered better to use the handle windows gives us. At
> the very least we'd want to queue up all the incoming event notifications
> that we get from this loop, and then use it to update the state when
> someone stops.
>
> You get one view of the thread if you catch the event but another if you
> enumerate them when stopped?  That's awkward.

It's likely possible to get the same view of the thread, but there's no
guarantee.  handles are funny things, and there's a huge amount of
complexity and security checks that go on behind the scenes when you try to
open a handle, so it's safer to just use the one that's been blessed by the
OS.

Thanks for the additional explanations