[lldb-dev] Process::SetPrivateState / SetPublicState

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Tue Nov 11 10:27:02 PST 2014

> On Nov 11, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>
> A follow up question.  Trying to make sure I get this right for the sequence of launching a process.  You launch the process, wait for the initial stop, then lldb resumes your process, then it's running.  Conceptually it seems like the following state sequence makes the most sense
>
> Upon returning from Process::DoLaunch()   Public = Private = Launching
> After the initial stop is received   Public = launching, private = stopped
> After LLDB calls DoResume()   Public = private = running
>
> On the other hand, you said I should never touch the public state myself.  Did I understand this correctly, or is it ok to set the public state from within my process plugin?

Launching and attaching are funny in that we hijack the public events so they don't get delivered to the user. So in the launch and attach case you might need to set the public state directly. I would follow what the other plugins are doing. Once your process is launched and stopped, you won't ever play with the public state directly, but you might need to during launch and attach because the events are hijacked. When we hijack the public events, we can consume one or more events so they don't get delivered. For example, we have sync and async mode. In sync mode when you launch it expects you to wait until the process stops before returning from any commands that run the target. So your launch could actually consume all events and the process can exit. When you return from launch in sync mode, you can then just check the state of the process and see if you are stopped or exited. In async mode, we might get the first stop of the process (at the entry point with no code having been run), but continue your process for you if you didn't specify to stop at entry in your launch prefs. So we actually eat a public stop for the stop at the entry, and then resume the process but we don't consume that event...