[lldb-dev] Is anyone using the LLDB CMake standalone build?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 10:56:02 PST 2014

On Tuesday December 30 2014 16:59:22 Zachary Turner wrote:

> It's only going to work insofar as it's being actively maintained.  That's
> the problem -- most of the people on Apple platforms aren't currently using
> the CMake build.  So it may need some work.  Please do fix any issues you
> find with it.

What are the prerequisites for building the CMake standalone build? The term standalone appears to be misleading; the CMake file suggests one does need to have built the rest of llvm first?

Is that also true for lldb-mi??

> There is an msvs-ninja generator that does something similar to what you
> propose.  You get a Visual Studio solution, but hitting "build" delegates
> the actual work out to ninja.  This is something that has to be supported
> directly in CMake though, so it's beyond the scope of what we can
> realistically do.

Supposing CMake generates functional Xcode llvm projects, you could always add an additional target to it (or rather, replace the generated targets but leave the files), one that uses the external build system.
Then again, it might be easier just to import the source tree into Xcode, and add the external target.

BTW: http://milianw.de/blog/katekdevelop-sprint-2014-let-there-be-clang
http://kfunk.org/2014/04/28/gsoc-2014-improving-the-clang-integration-in-kdevelop/

> an "install" target, so all you have to do is build that target to install.
>  "ninja install" would be the command.  Various CMake variables that you
> specify at CMake gen time control how the components are installed.  Not
> sure what "fast" is that you mention though.

>From what I understand, make install/fast skips the regular make step that is executed before doing the install proper, and which can take a considerable amount of time. It's esp. nice when rebuilding/installing a sub target.
It also prints out nicely which components were (re)installed, and which were already up-to-date.

R.