[lldb-dev] Is anyone using the LLDB CMake standalone build?

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Tue Dec 30 08:59:22 PST 2014

On Tue Dec 30 2014 at 8:50:43 AM René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> So lldb is supposed to build with cmake on OS X. Last time I tried (to get
> lldb-mi on OS X 10.9), I failed to get that to work.
> Maybe I need to fetch the lldb tree in an llvm tree I fetched first?

It's only going to work insofar as it's being actively maintained.  That's
the problem -- most of the people on Apple platforms aren't currently using
the CMake build.  So it may need some work.  Please do fix any issues you
find with it.

> Seems it should be possible to set up Xcode to use (ninja as/with) an
> external build system ... Or you could try KDevelop, which supports cmake
> projects and ninja "natively" (i.e. with plugins).
> Out of curiosity, does the ninja generator generate files that allow the
> equivalent of `make help` to get a list of known targets?
> And what about install/fast?

There is an msvs-ninja generator that does something similar to what you
propose.  You get a Visual Studio solution, but hitting "build" delegates
the actual work out to ninja.  This is something that has to be supported
directly in CMake though, so it's beyond the scope of what we can
realistically do.

You can use ninja -t targets to get a list of targets.  The CMake defines
an "install" target, so all you have to do is build that target to install.
 "ninja install" would be the command.  Various CMake variables that you
specify at CMake gen time control how the components are installed.  Not
sure what "fast" is that you mention though.