[lldb-dev] Current status of lldb-platform

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Mon Oct 7 16:22:16 PDT 2013

On Oct 2, 2013, at 3:18 AM, Aidan Dodds <aidan at codeplay.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if anyone could bring me up to speed on the current status of lldb-platform?
> Is there a doc somewhere that describes its design, intended use, etc...
> After examining the source there are still many things which are not clear.
>
> My basic understanding is that it should act like a daemon on a target machine, letting a remote host communicate with it to spawn debug servers and transfer files back and forth.  Is this correct?

Yes, the theory is that the "lldb-platform" is started on a remote system, LLDB then connects to it. The platform is able to:
- upload files to the remote host
- download files from the remote host
- run shell commands on the remote system
- maintain a local cache of the remote system root (shared libraries, etc)
- list processes on the remote system
- get detailed info on individual remote processes
- start GDB server binaries on the remote system to allow debugging on the remote system

Most of the above stuff is working for MacOSX.

The larger picture is to be able to have a test suite that runs on a local system through this platform connection but uploading programs, running them remotely.

Greg Clayton