[lldb-dev] Current status of lldb-platform

Malea, Daniel daniel.malea at intel.com
Fri Oct 4 08:59:19 PDT 2013

Hi Aidan, sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately no over-arching design
doc exists, but your understanding is generally correct.

The implementation is still somewhat incomplete as lldb-platform relies on
the GDBRemoteCommunication[Server|Client] classes to pass messages back
and forth with the frontend. To get a sense of the design direction, take
a look at docs/lldb-gdb-remote.txt for a more complete list of messages
that LLDB supports in addition to the standard GDB-server protocol.
Although keep in mind only some of these are implemented by lldb-platform.

When lldb-platform is complete, it will implement a superset of the
functionality that is currently provided by the (currently mac-os-x only)
debugserver tool. However, you're right, right now lldb-platform is useful
for transferring files, querying system/OS information, and running
arbitrary shell commands, not debugging things directly.

Hope that helps. Greg may have more information about the lldb-platform
tool as he was involved in it's development, I was only involved in the
commit :)

Cheers,
Daniel