[flang-dev] Flang driver - next steps

Damian Rouson via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 29 11:19:59 PDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 8:05 AM Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev <
flang-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> # *Bash script*
> Once `flang-new` is capable of generating executables, shall we rename
> it as `flang` and then rename the `flang` [4] bash script as e.g.
> `flang-to-gfortran` (or something similar)?
>

>From a user perspective, I think the proposed renaming is great.  I think
most new users are surprised to find that invoking `flang` leads to
`gfortran` compiling the code. Renaming `flang-new` to `flang` will solve
that -- albeit at the cost of potentially breaking existing build workflows
that rely on the current behavior, but the solution seems simple for such
situations (such a user could just replace their `flang` invocation with
`gfortran` if that's what they actually want).

Damian